1. The Hotel Cafe Presents: Winter Songs
2. Cipriani Parapadelli Pasta
5. Inspired shopping guides for children like this one.
6. Simple suppers like ratatouille from the Moosewood Cookbook.
7. The promise of books unread. A list of the year’s 10 best from the NYTimes is here.
10. Bolla Valpolicella – it’s cheap, perfect red table wine for any occasion. Like a field trip to Roma.
14. Songs of Joy & Peace from Yo Yo Ma and also this one from Sixpence None The Richer. Though, I have to say, if looking for a Joni Mitchell remake of River, look no further than Corrine Bailey Rae’s version on the Herbie Hancock record River: The Joni Letters.
As I drove to court this morning in another county, snow was falling and I listened to Corrine singing,
“It’s coming on Christmas. They’re cutting down trees. Their putting up reindeers and singing songs of joy and peace. I wish I had a river I could skate away on.” I know it’s crazy, because I don’t know her, but I say prayers for her from time to time knowing this will be the first Christmas since she has lost her husband: a loss I cannot imagine.
Here’s to peaceful winter evenings.